Brukenthal Avrig Palace
Avrig Evangelical Church
The Avrig Museum
Clay Castle "Fairies’ Valley"
The Cârța Cistercian Abbey
The Fortified Evangelical Church of Moşna
Tasting local traditional products
Brukenthal Avrig Palace - Throughout its 250-year history, the estate has passed through the hands of several owners and has had several directions: the Brukenthal family, various families in the area, the Presbytery of the Evangelical Community, which opened a sanatorium in 1908 with a thermal facility. After 1948 the settlement was taken over by the state, which maintained the sanitarium. Since 1999 the land has been owned by the Samuel von Brukenthal Foundation, and in 2005 the sanatorium was disbanded. Today, the complex is open to visitors who want to enjoy a special atmosphere in the shadow of the Carpathian Mountains.
The Avrig Evangelical Church - In the 13th century, the Saxon colonists arrived in the Avrig area and built a much smaller basilica on the site of the current Evangelical Church. By the 15th century, following the whole process of reconstruction and fortification of the churches of Transylvania, the Avrig church was also reinforced with fortification walls and turned into a church hall.
We shall visit:
Due to the changes made, the church preserved various elements in different architectural styles: Romanesque portal, Gothic sculptures, Baroque interior elements. In 1770, Baron Samuel von Brukenthal, who was building his new summer residence in the neighborhood, donated for the church a clock that still works today.
The Avrig Museum - Designed as an ethno-cultural center, the museum includes an exhibition dedicated to Gheorghe Lazar, a collection of folk art called generic Maria Spiridon, a glassware collection, a collection of glass icons and circles for traditional craftsmanship.
At the end of the visit we shall be able to attend a special weaving workshop.
The Clay Castle Fairies’ Valley - It is a private project that has left the idea of a "fairy-tale natural house" and is built of natural materials. Thanks to the special architecture that makes you think about children's story books, it attracts thousands of curious tourists.
The Cârţa Cistercian Abbey- It is the only Cistercian monastery in Romania, it played a major role both in the political, economic and cultural history of medieval Transylvania, as well as in the introduction and dissemination of Gothic art in the Carpathian area. It was founded at the beginning of the 13th century by the Cistercian monks, and the first buildings of the monastery were raised, according to the Cistercian orders, from perishable materials, probably from wood, which could be dated with relative safety between 1205-1206.
The Fortified Evangelical Church of Moşna, dating back to the 13th century, is one of the most valuable architectural heritage of the fortified churches on the Valea Târnavelor, visited by Prince Charles himself. The tower of the church city always awaits us for an unprecedented tasting of bacon, garden vegetables and cheeses.
The good work of the Saxon order has always been found in fortified churches. For example, in order to resist the invasions, the Saxons built special stores where they stored their supplies. Moreover, one of the towers was always used to preserve slums during the year. Each family had a place reserved in the tower and its own distinctive sign that it always meant to be applied at bottom after cutting off the bacon. Today, the towers are no longer full of smoked bacon hanging in hooks, but offer the opportunity to taste the prepared bacon according to the Saxon custom.
Traditional meal (bacon, cheese, vegetables), wine tasting.
17:30 Arrival in Sibiu (approximate time)
All Mercedes Sprinder minibuses
Entering all the tour objectives
Tasting traditional products
Price: 149 lei / person
Minimum group: 15 people
Duration: 7-8 hours